Country Roads Of Switzerland (Summer 2018)
An intimate journey of discovery amid stunning Alpine panoramas. This itinerary includes riding on the famous Glacier Express and staying in some of Switzerland’s most enchanting hotels.
Additional Included Highlights
- Lucerne: See the emotive Lion Monument, Jesuit Church and Chapel Bridge.
- Gruyeres: See the main street and 13th century castle.
- Geneva: View the sights of the city including the Jet d’Eau, Reformation Monument and Floral Clock.
- Martigny: View the Roman Amphitheatre.
- Sion: See the two fortress-churches, the cathedral and Old Town Hall.
- Zermatt: Should weather permitt, see the Matterhorn.
- Italian Lake District: Experience beautiful Lake Maggiore.
- Lauterbrunnen: In the Valley of the Waterfalls, witness the Staubbach Falls plunging 300 metres.
- Zurich: Your Travel Director will show you the Bahnhofstrasse, Grossmunster, River Limmat and Frauenmunster.
- Scenic Drives: Lake Geneva, Vaud Alps, Rhone Valley, Simplon Pass, Italian Lake District, Grison Region, San Bernardino, Julier Pass, Engadine Valley, Schollenen Gorge, Grindelwald Valley, Brunig Pass, Lake Lungern, Lake Sarnen.
- Stanserhorn: Embark on a spectacular journey to the summit of Mount Stanserhorn and appreciate unrivalled views of snow-capped peaks. Meet a Swiss Ranger and learn about the local wildlife.
- Bern: Your exploration with a local historian through Switzerland’s capital includes seeing the floral displays, Bear Pits, Cathedral of St. Vincent, Federal Palace, clock tower and Ogre Fountain.
- Lake Geneva: Led by your Local Expert, visit Chillon Castle, set on a rocky islet in the lake. Following his walk through the dungeons in 1816, Lord Byron wrote the poem ‘The Prisoner of Chillon’. Look out for his name, which he carved into a pillar.
- Bellinzona: Julia Guidotti is your Local Expert as you explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site, known as the capital of Italian Switzerland. Having married and now living in the region, Julia is very passionate to share her story and why she loves the area.
Signature and Highlight Hotels
- Grindelwald: The stately Romantik Hotel Schweizerhof place you minutes away from the village center and offers a range of boutique facilities.
- Montreux: Located in the heart of Montreux, the Grand Hotel Suisse Majestic of boasts luxurious facilities and spectacular views of Lake Geneva.
- Zermatt: The unique Resort Hotel Alex is one of Switzerland’s most original hotels, cleverly combining modern and traditional elements into a hospitality experience that’s full of fun and surprises.
- Zermatt: The Schlosshotel Zermatt offers sumptuous hotel rooms, quality service and a relaxed environment.
- St. Moritz: The elegant Crystal Hotel is located close to shops in the town centre, where all the prestigious names, including Chanel, Gucci and Louis Vuitton are lined up together.
- Zürich: Raise your glass and enjoy the typical Swiss dining experience of a delicious fondue dinner at a local restaurants for your Celebration Dinner.
- Lake Geneva: Visit Domaine Bovy, a family-run winery overlooking Lake Geneva. After a tasting sit down to a delicious Farm-to-Table dinner, of course accompanied with these local wines.
- Zermatt: Choose between fine local restaurants on your Dine-Around Evening and enjoy an intimate culinary experience.
- Dining Summary: 13 Buffet Breakfasts (BB) and 5 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
Top Rated Highlights
- St. Moritz: If you think there’s no such thing as a free ride, you’re wrong! With your inclusive pass, travel on 13 cable cars, funiculars, chairlifts and select public transport options (when available). The crisp Alpine air is included in the deal.
- Glacier Express: Travel on-board the world-famous Glacier Express, journeying through looping tunnels and dizzying viaducts. Enjoy a glorious adventure in the scenic heart of the Swiss Alps, only possible by rail.
- Brienz: Learn the history of woodcarving at the Jobin Swiss Woodcarving Centre.
- Swiss Countryside: Travel along valley floors covered with rich meadowland, to the pretty town of Gruyères.
- Lake Geneva: Enjoy first-class seats as you cruise on the serene waters of the King of Lakes, inspiration to the early Romantic movement.
- Zermatt: Step aboard the shuttle trains of the Matterhorn Gotthard Railway for a journey to the famous traffic-free Alpine resort.
Additional Star Services
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight’s luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may pur…